Devonport's Military History
Although Devonport is famous, both nationally and globally, for its naval heritage, the British Army played an equally significant role in the town for 250 years,
from shortly after 1700 until shortly after WWII.
Deserters from Plymouth Dock, 1758
Soldiers deserted from the
34th Regiment of Foot,
quartered at Plymouth Dock, during November and December 1758.
Plymouth Dock - A Garrison Town
Short article giving a flavour of the garrison and military nature of
Includes some newspaper snippets c1800-1824.
The Statue of Field Marshal Lord Seaton
Erected at Mount Wise in 1866 this
is now one of Devonport's lost artifacts.
Recruitment Method in Devonport 1854
Letter to a newspaper editor
from an Old Volunteer, who was a Devonport resident in 1854.
Buildings and Structures of Military Origin
See also the listing
on this page...
(page added February 2012, updated Jan 2014)