The plot upon which these homes are built was previously the Raglan Barracks, hence
the name for this area as used by locals. Entering the plot from Fore Street in
the north is Raglan Road - this was once the military road, running parallel with
the garrison wall that surrounded Devonport until the end of the 19th century.
View Larger Map
There are no shops at Raglan, the plot is residential.
- Upon entering Raglan Road from Fore Street you'll find Leander House on your left, and a few steps
further on the right is the vehicle entrance into St Theresa's apartments.
- Immediately after St Theresa's vehicle entrance is the access path to St Josephs
- Continue walking south down Raglan Road you'll find The Music Zone on the left, and the curve to the right takes you to
the residential properties built on the old parade ground of Raglan Barracks, see the plot on the Google map above.
- By continuing straight ahead you will reach
Raglan Gatehouse , the original arched entrance into Raglan Barracks
- Having passed Raglan Gatehouse the name of the road you are walking changes, from
Raglan road to Madden Road. In earlier times these two roads were one, named Raglan
Road and before that Military Road. For nearly all the 20th century the nickname
for this stretch of road, for the Military Road, was 'the Lines'. Had you walked
this road from top to bottom prior to the 1890s, all the way down on your left would
have been Devonport's massive garrison wall (Garrison Lines - hence the nickname). The Lines were mostly removed by the mid 1890s.
- Continuing south, you pass the car park to Albion Rugby Club on your left, after
next big building on the left is the Brickfields Sports Centre.
(More to follow....)